My question relates to the definition of legal residence when applying for an OAS. She ended her legal residence when she returned to Hong Kong with her son, or when they sold their home in Toronto, or when she broke up with her husband or when they were divorced. This is important for it to be able to accurately calculate whether it is completing the 10 years of legal residency required in Canada to collect the OAS and possibly GIS. Please attach all necessary documentation and send the application form to a Social Security office in the United States or email it to: Please make sure your Social Security number is available before calling. Hello, Doug, I understand the caveat that you are not an expert in SS, but it is as simple as my reading of the link suggests; that if Michael has 3 years (or more) (12 quarters) of cPP contributions, that the 12 quarters would be added to his U.S. SS 28 quarters and he would receive U.S. law…. without a reduction in his CPC? Does the amount of his contributions to the CPC during these three years play a role? All CPP and OAS applications have a question that invites you to list any other country in which you have lived or worked. If you do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements of the CPC or OAS based solely on your Canadian contribution/residence, your application will be considered as part of an international agreement that may apply to you. Hello James — Under OAS law, the definition of residence in Canada is «to do your country in Canada and live there as usual,» and I think she stopped living in Canada when she returned to Hong Kong. I do not know all the details of the agreement with China, but I am pretty sure it will not help. There was never an agreement with Hong Kong, neither under British nor other rule. Social security agreements may affect compliance with minimum contribution requirements for benefits (which I call the right to be mentioned) but they do not affect the amount of these benefits (what I call the entitlement).

If this chart does not seem to describe their situation and you are: If I left Canada at the age of 20, am I entitled to pension benefits when I return before I turn 65? I worked in Canada from 16 to 20, but I have worked in the United States for the last 39 years. Thank you for all the information you can provide. Coverage certificates issued by either the Ottawa Department of National Revenue or the Montreal Office of Social Security Agreements should be retained by the employer in the United States in the event of an IRS review. No copy should be sent to the IRS unless specifically requested by the IRS. However, each year, a self-employed person must add a photocopy of the certificate to his or her income tax return as proof of the U.S. exemption. Doug, very nice article. I wonder if you can tell me what`s going to happen. I moved to the United States in 2009. I have an Ontario pension for policing and I created the Canada Pension at the age of 60. I have been working in the United States since 2011. I got divorced and started applying for social security at the age of 62.

I know I will be affected by WFP and other things when I start claiming my own SS. In fact, because of my Canadian pensions, it can completely wipe out my SS. If I am looking for the totalization formula or is it even possible, now that I receive both SS and Canada pension. Thank you for your help. I am 65 years old and a citizen of two states (United States and Canada) currently lives in the United States. Over the years, I have travelled back and forth between the two countries and have realized that you must have been in Canada at least 20 years after the age of 18 in order for your OAS pension to be payable permanently outside of Canada. Tom — Each stay in Canada is taken into account on the exact number of years/month/days, and then added up to get your total number of years.